Friday, July 16, 2010

The Greatest Generation of Hoarding

Over a month ago, my refrigerator broke.  Wonderful Marjorie loaned me a small refrigerator until the old one was fixed.

Using that little fridge made me realize--what the heck was I storing in the big one anyway?  When I cleaned out the old fridge full of rotting food, I found three jars of salsa (all different), four jars of mustard (again, all different), and five bottles of salad dressing (don't ask).  What was I doing with all that stuff?

Every jar and bottle had its unique occasion.  Believe me, I used all of those jars of mustard--some for hot dogs, some for cooking, some for sandwiches.  They all had their place.  But in retrospect, my desire to have everything available at all times seems a little nutty.

I noticed another shopping pattern when I discovered a full container of sour cream, and another container only one quarter full.  See, I don't buy sour cream when I've run out of sour cream.  I buy it when I'm about to run out.  If you see duplicate containers of food in my fridge, I guarantee you that one will be unopened, and the other will be about a quarter full.  I never ever ever run out of sour cream.  Or cottage cheese.  Eggs.  Butter.  You name it.

I know where I picked up this habit--from my parents.  Survivors of the Great Depression, they are part of what Tom Brokaw calls "The Greatest Generation."  I suppose if there's anything you learn from the Depression, it's how to hoard food.  My parents' garage was crammed full of canned food, teetering on rickety shelves.  Green beans, olives, tomatoes, peaches, pears, creamed corn--it was like walking down aisle 7 at Ralphs.  When my mom was in the kitchen, she would ask me with complete confidence, "Honey, could you please get a can of peas from the garage?"  My mom and dad always knew the exact contents of the inventory.

Even though I grew up in the relative financial comfort of the sixties and seventies, I adopted the hoarding habit.  I stuff my fridge and my pantry full of duplicates in preparation for that moment when I run out of Tillamook cheese, Worchestershire sauce, or bamboo shoots.

Well, you never know the scope of your crazy until you have to clean it out of a stinky, rotting fridge.

This week, a Ukrainian man named Yuri fixed my old enormous fridge.  Now as I'm repopulating my fridge, I'm a little more careful.  I actually let myself run out of yogurt before I bought another pint.  I feel more efficient, more green, and more in the moment.

Yes, they were a great generation.  They worked tirelessly because it was the right thing to do, and with limited promise of reward.  They toiled in the present so that we would all have a bright future.  And they hoarded in the present for that moment in the future when they would need a can of tomatoes for their spaghetti sauce.

4 comments:

  1. Obviously it's possible to go overboard, but I don't see the virtue of running out of things before buying a replacement.

    Yes, we live in an age of abundance. That's a good thing, not a cause for shame. Unless you're making extra trips, or buying an even bigger and less-efficient refrigerator (I don't think the latter is a real problem, but you seem to), it just seems prudent to me to have some redundancy and a stockpile for an emergency (earthquake or other disaster that causes difficulty with re-supplying). Convenience is good. And, being prepared to help yourself and others rather than becoming a burden on them seems better to me.

    This inverted morality that claims that it's more virtuous to live short lives of hardship, like our ancestors did, is just nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cold, Gil. No, not really, I just wanted to throw in some refrigerator humor. I don't remember gina covering inverted morality or claiming a desire to live a short life of hardship. I think her broken fridge just gave her the opportunity to examine her own behaviors and think about how she developed them. Is she nuts? Mmmm, nuts. Maybe Gina has some in her pantry . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh! that reminds me--i'm running out of walnuts. better get to the market...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, maybe I read too much into: "I actually let myself run out of yogurt before I bought another pint. I feel more efficient, more green, and more in the moment."

    It seemed to me that she was implying that there's something good about having to face obstacles as they arise, rather than avoiding them by preparing with more capacity than is strictly necessary. The more of that you do, the shorter and more difficult your life is likely to be.

    I don't think she's nuts. But, maybe some nuts are influencing her a bit.

    ReplyDelete